Thursday, July 9, 2009

Spinner Card Instructions

Spinner cards are very easy to make and lots of fun to give. This card is simple to make with your child and they will have the ability to use their creative side. There are many ways to do this card as you can see in the end result. Use your imagination and you will be amazed at what you will create. You will probably need additional postage due to the weight and thickness of the card.

The end result of your card will be 4-1/4" x 5", as I was able to create 2 cards from one piece of card stock.

In the instructions I used from our Bigfoot & Pickle Face Creations line the snail SKU# FSH04 clear rubber stamps and the child safe/washable ink pad in black. This will match the envelope I did the day before.

Cut a piece of card stock paper 4-1/4" x 10". You should be able to get 2 cards out of an 8-1/2" x 11" paper. Score in landscape at 5", and fold in half. Out of another coordinating card stock cut one piece to 4-1/4" x 5".

Print out the template below, it looks like a long oval. This is the shape you will want to use for your spinner part of your card. There are many ways to create this shape. I printed mine on card stock and then re-enforced it with tape on the back so I can use over and over again. I created it in Word by drawing some lines at 3-1/4" and then putting some round lines on the end. The width of the shape is about 5/8" or less; it should not be any wider then that, as a penny "sandwich" needs to fit in the groove and should not fall out. If it is larger then that the penny will not sit in properly, so it is better to have it smaller.

Another way to make the end holes is to draw your lines on your paper and then use a 1/2" hole punch on either end and then cut along your lines. When I get a hole punch I will demonstrate in a different blog.
With my template, I trace it with a pencil onto the back of my 4-1/4" x 5" card stock paper and I used a straight edge ruler and a exacto knife and cut out my shape. You will need to assist your child with this process as it will involve sharp instruments.


Next you will need to either use Foam tape or cardboard as demonstrated on my "green" paper, to raise up the image to allow for the pennies to rotate. I used double sided tape to adhere my cardboard to the green paper. Next make a "sandwich" out of your 2 pennies by putting a round piece of double-sided foam tape between them-the foam tape should just be a bit smaller then the penny [if it is too small your penny will fall out of the track. You can find this item at your local craft store. You should be able to insert your penny sandwich in the slot and it should move freely back and forth.

Use double sided tape to adhere the facing of your card to your main card [in my example, the green to the orange]. I taped onto the cardboard double sided tape and stuck it to my main card. Lastly, decorate your card.


NOTE: you can and probably should decorate your card BEFORE you put it all together. At that time you can think of what you want to put as an image on your spinner and that what sayings you want to use. To make the instructions simple, I decorated the card after putting it all together so you can understand the simplicity of it.

I printout out my sayings and cut them out and used double-sided tape to place where I wanted them, but you can use clear rubber stamps and stamp directly to the card. Make sure your image you are going to place on the penny sandwich is larger then the penny, as you don't want the penny to show. If you like a certain image and it is too small, you can always layer the image to a larger piece of coordinating paper. On the inside of the card, cut a piece of white card stock 3-1/2" x 4" to write your message. Here are a couple additional cards that I did.

Have fun with this project, as your imagination is your only limitation. Kids love to do this card when they are doing their kids crafts, so work with them on their homemade cards and you will be amazed at what they can create. With the above cards, I made my own flowers out of scrap card stock and used a brad to hold it all together. I used stamp sets from our Bigfoot & Pickle Face Creations Collection, which made for lots of fun designing. If you have any questions, feel free to comment or email me. If you have a spinner card you want to share, email me or add your link.

2 comments: