Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pop Up Card - Tutorial

Here are the instructions on how to make a simple pop-up card. Modify the design to fit the theme of the card you want to give. This card was designed for an invite. Here is a side view of the card, so when it opens the object that is on the inside of the card stands out. You could put picture of your child or design a present or cupcake as the item to pop-out if your are making a birthday card. Once you make the basics of the card, then put on your creative hat and have your child join in the fun of decorating.

Side view:

Front view:

Inside of the card [hard to see that the cow is standing out~he does look cool in person]:

First I cut most of the pieces that I needed to decorate my card. Main card [outside] cut out of card stock at 3-1/2" x 8". On the 8" side score at 4" [or fold the card in half]. Inside of the card, cut a piece of coordinating card stock at 3-1/4" x 7-3/4" and fold in half on the 7 3/4" side.

Front pieces of the card I cut 1 piece of card stock 1-1/4" x 3-1/2" and another piece at 1" x 3-1/2". Inside pieces of the card I printed out my sayings on the computer and then cut around the words. I stamped with our clear rubber stamps the cow using our child safe/washable ink pad in black. I made a birthday hat to place on his head.


Take the inside piece of card stock [3-1/4" x 7-3/4"] and after you fold it in half, make 2 slits in the middle of the card spacing them about 1/2" to 3/4" apart. See below example. Fold the tab forward and then back.


Push the tab through to the other side so it makes a little stair step. Since I had double sided card stock I could have used either side depending on what design I wanted to show.

Glue or use double sided sticky tape attach the "inside" of the card to the "outside" of the card. Glue around the "stair step" so that it does not stick down on to the outside layer of the card.


Now it is time to decorate your card and have fun. Make sure you include the children on all your kids crafting projects. Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment